We are headed out of town today so once again the goal is to prep the vegetables to enjoy later. Here is what I had to work with…
I decided to preserve the onion, garlic, squash and eggplant in oil.
Summer Vegetables in Oil
adapted from PreserveIt!
3 medium yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 small onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/4 inch thick
8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 t. sugar
2 s. kosher salt
1-2 cups olive oil
1 t. crushed red pepper (also choose from: fennel seeds, oregano, rosemary)
- Place squash, onion, garlic and eggplant in a saucepan. Cover with vinegar. Add sugar and salt and bring to boil.
- Boil vegetables about 3 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and drain on wire rack and pat dry with paper towels. Allow to cool.
- Loosely pack vegetables in jar, add seasoning, and cover with olive oil. With knife move vegetables around to remove air pockets.
- Top jar and store in refrigerator for one week before enjoying. Add additional olive oil as needed to keep vegetables covered.
I made two jars, one with crushed red pepper and one with fennel seeds. This mixture will make a great hot night dinner with some cured meat and cheese and a nice crusty baguette. Perfect for when we get back from vacation and don’t feel like cooking.