Two words: salted caramel.
- 1 C. sugar
- ¼ C. water
- 2 T. light corn syrup
- ¾ C. heavy cream
- 4 T. butter
- 1 t. gray sea salt
- In a saucepan combine, sugar, water, and light corn syrup. Do not stir.
- With a wet pastry brush, wipe down any crystals on side of pan.
- Bring to boil over high, swirl pan lightly to combine. Takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Continue to boil until an amber color.
- Remove from heat and slowly and gradually whisk in cream, butter, and salt.
- Stir until smooth sauce forms. May clump for a bit, keep stirring.
- Cool at room temperature.
The recipe is actually very easy but it definitely requires your undivided attention. You don’t want to get distracted or leave the stove when making this, not even to get your camera to take picture along the way. It goes from perfect to burnt in the blink of an eye. Believe me, I know all too well.