Plenty of tomatoes and basil to enjoy this week thanks to the CSA. Layers of tomatoes, basil, finely shredded Swiss, salt, pepper, and a little drizzle of olive oil were packed into a pie crust for a very rich and incredibly filling dinner.
Didn’t make a dent in the basil. I still have plenty of the arugula almond pesto in the freezer, so I didn’t want to go the pesto route. Thought about a hummus, but we did not have any chickpeas, but we did have white beans. That’ll work…
|White Bean Basil Spread|
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 t. balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. tahini
- 1/2 – 1/4 t. sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In food processor, with bald running, drop in garlic cloves. Scrap sides.
- Add basil and process to combine. Scrap sides.
- Add remainder of ingredients, except oil, and process until smooth and combined.
- Drizzle in oil to combine. Season to taste.
I love the balsamic vinegar in place of the traditional lemon juice. And I may actually prefer the creaminess of the white beans over chickpeas. Great spread on toast (appetizer or meal sized) topped with tomatoes, balsamic syrup is a nice addition too.
Good summer eats.