The theme of week two on South Beach seems to be comfort food in the form of a casserole. I’ll get right to this one…
Crappy picture are also a theme apparently, I blame the lack of carbs. This one is the real deal, and could practically go unnoticed that it is not potato. I mean I would go as far as scooping this into real potato skins and twice baking it that way.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 oz. low fat cream cheese
- 4 oz. low fat sour cream
- ¼ cup minced chives
- 3 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, fat blotted with paper towel and then crumbled
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft.
- Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks.
- Mix in light cream cheese, light sour cream, ¾ chives, and ¾ of the crumbled bacon.
- Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with low-fat cheddar cheese and reserved chives and bacon.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
No matter your position on carbs, give this a try, you won’t be disappointed.